Saturday, June 9, 2012

A first we would have rather avoided . . .



This week was exhausting! As I posted before Jacob hasn't been feeling well and every time we take him to the pediatrician they say it's teething. Monday when we went back they even tested him for a UTI which was negative. Tuesday he stayed home from school again and in the evening we noticed his foot was swollen and he wouldn't put weight on it. We called the pediatric after hours clinic and they told us to being him to the peds ER so they could do x-rays. We got to the ER at 7:30pm and to make a long story shorter after numerous blood tests, and x-ray, 3 doctors, and an IV they admitted Jacob to the hospital. It was a very long night with NO sleep for Mommy. ( I guess I shouldn't have complained about the little sleep I was getting for the past week). Once they decided they were admitting him to the hospital he wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything in case he had to have surgery. They put him on ibuprofen every 6 hours around the clock and diagnosed him with Viral Synovitis. They admitted him to watch closely for any more signs of sepsis because his symptoms were also consist with a bone/joint infection when we got to the ER.
The outside of Jacob's feet when we got to the ER.
Tops of his feet in the ER.

The blue car tape they used for his IV bandage.

What is Viral Synovitis you ask? From what we understand Jacob had a virus last week, it could have been any type of cold/ sore throat/ runny nose ( that explains his fussiness). His body reacted to the virus by attaching his ankle making it very swollen and tender. The doctors said that it was fairly common but the reaction usually occurs in the hip and not the ankle.
Daddy went home for a few hours once we were admitted to the hospital.  Someone was happy to see him return.



So, we stayed in the hospital all day Wednesday while they monitored him. He began responding to the ibuprofen and putting some weight on his foot again so they discharged us Wednesday night with strict orders to look for any signs of negative change. I was nervous about things on Thursday but Friday morning Jacob seemed to turn the corner. We are much more confident in the doctors diagnosis now and he seems to be improving. We had a check up with his pediatrician yesterday and she reiterated what they told us in the hospital. It will take a while for the swelling and tenderness to go away but he seems to be improving. His demeanor is better, he's acting like Jacob again, sleeping (some) and starting to put weight on his foot. He's found plenty of ways to get into everything he shouldn't without using his left foot so we know he's on the road to recovery.




Playing to pass the time.
Silly kid



Showing his doctors that he could put weight on his foot again.


So, with the pediatrician's approval we're on vacation for almost 2 weeks ( minus a quick stop in Gainesville next Thursday), and we'll follow-up with an orthopedic doctor for Jacob's foot when we return.

His left foot the morning after we got home.  Still very swollen.

But I'm still Mr. Smiley and am feeling better every day!!









4 comments:

Jessie said...

Awww. Poor Jacob! Glad he is feeling better. And glad we had a 3hour time difference so we could stay in touch thru this ordeal!

Hannah said...

I'm SO glad I was able to talk to you through the whole order Dr. Naff :-) I meant to put that in the blog post and forgot. Although I'm super happy to be living in the same state as you next month, I'm glad we had the time difference for this so I could understand what was going on! Thank you!

Christine said...

Poor little man! It is crazy that with all of that he only needed ibuprofen. I hope everything goes well with the orthopod.

Sarah said...

That's scary! I'm so glad his foot is doing better and you guys got it figured out! Hope he continues to get better!