Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Back to school . . . .

I guess you can say we've had an eventful first week of school . . . and it's only Wednesday! Sunday night while Marks parents were still here we noticed that the wood floors in the house were warping near the kitchen stove and in the hallway. Upon further investigation Mark found a lot of water in the AC/Furnace closet in the hallway. So we got in touch with the landlord and the fun began!

I am teaching my first class this semester so Monday morning we were all up early, I had class at 7:20, the Siburts left to drive home, and Mark has to be at work by 7am. I taught class (it went well, 67 undergrads MWF at 7:20am) and then ran home to meet the AC repair man. He came and fixed the problem; a clogged condensation line and a small air leak in the AC unit. Then the people from ServPro (a company that repairs water and fire damage) showed up. Bailey and I stayed in the back office for about 5 hours while they did their assessment and worked; when they were done we came out to find completely removed hardwood floors in the kitchen and hallway. Partially removed floors in the bedrooms, the stove in the middle of the kitchen with the gas turned off, 8 high powered fans and 2 industrial dehumidifiers running 24/7. I should bring a sound level meter home and measure the sound level from all the machines, it's LOUD!

So, we are literally living in our living room now. The people from Servpro have to come everyday(convenient right?) and check the moisture . . . they didn't give me much of an idea about how long this whole process will take (maybe 3-5 days of drying is all they'll say). I'm sure it helps that the humidity outside is about 85%! Then they will have to replace the floors and who knows how long that process will take! I am relieved with how quickly our landlord worked to get the process started!

And for Mark, Monday morning when he got to work his boss literally dumped all the Arborist duties on him at once. She's retiring in a week and they haven't done interviews for the new position yet, she just decided she was done and told him he can tell her what to do now. Needless to say, he's been busy!

Here's a view into out lives this week. . . enjoy! I hope you have all had a much less eventful week than we have so far! I've decided that if I'm successful at teaching my class with all of this going on I don't have to worry much about teaching in the future!

This is what it looked like on Monday morning . . .
And the closet where it all started . . .

The dining room/kitchen

The kitchen with 2 of the fans

Another shot of the kitchen with a dehumidifier and 2 fans, blowing the dust and floor debris everywhere!

Our "bedroom" (in the living room).

The living room (about 6 feet from the "bedroom")


The "office" with the "dining room table" in the background. This is in between the "bedroom" and the "living room".

Hope you've enjoyed the view into our lives at present, I guess this is what it's like to live in a studio apartment. :-)

No comments: