Sunday, January 9, 2011

Happy New Year!




It's 2011, and it's been a little while since I posted on the blog. The Fall semester ended in a whirlwind and it hasn't seemed to slow down much since. Here are a few updates from each of us to start the new year:

Hannah: I passed my qualifying exams at the end of last semester so I'm officially one step closer to my PhD. Now is the true test of self motivation as I have to keep up the pace I've had over the past year a half without the hard deadlines. I hope to have my dissertation project set in stone by the end of the semester and if lucky have approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) to begin my research project. That's the next biggest stepping stone, we'll see how it goes. Otherwise, I'm finished taking classes but continue to teach. I am teaching a graduate level (1st year AuD) class this semester which will be a much different experience than the 70 undergrads I taught in the Fall. This class only has 9 students! My other latest work related excitement is acceptance to the Ida Institute. A very selective workshop in Audiologic Rehabilitation held outside of Copenhagen, Denmark. I'll be heading over the big pond again in March for this wonderful opportunity!

Mark: Mark has been working hard with his new job. He's settled in to his new office at the Thomas Center (http://www.gvlculturalaffairs.org/website/facilities/thomas_center.html), not too shabby huh? He's getting ready to go to a conference in Ft. Lauderdale at the end of this week and is in charge of Gainesville's annual Arbor Day Celebration on January 18th. Outside of work he's been filling the bird feeders frequently and keeps hoping the birds will find one of the now 2 bird baths we have in the yard. He also just ordered his first pair of trail running shoes and is hoping to start training for some spring races.

Bailey: She enjoyed the snow in VA for the holidays, and getting to spend a lot of time with my parents cat Peanut. In mid December she was bit or stung by something in the yard and had to endure a very torturous vets office visit because our at home vet wasn't working the day it happened. Between, Mark, Gater and I there for moral support she survived but hopes she never has to return! She it turning 5 years old on January 23rd!

The most exciting FL Siburt Family news is the addition of another member! Baby Siburt is due July 27, 2011 and we are all very excited. We had the first ultrasound on December 22nd which really made it feel real for both Mark and I. Although the baby was still really small you could see distinct body parts and a strong heartbeat. Bailey doesn't understand what's in store for her this year but there is much guaranteed excitement to come!