We've posted about our walks to the LaChua Trail before, and it's a place we try to take everyone who comes to visit us. If you want to see alligators it's the place to go! We try to go walk on the trail every few months because it changes so often and a few weeks ago it was a gorgeous Spring day and we decided to head out to the trail. Every time I go I'm always a little afraid I'm going to see animal planet in real life . . . in the past we've see wild piglets walking right past the snouts of HUGE alligators, Bison crossing the path just yards in front of us and so much other wildlife. This time, as we were walking down the path, an alligator on the bank quite close to us caught our eye. After realizing it wasn't out to get us because it had a huge fish in it's mouth, we stayed quietly to watch. I wish I was videoing the whole event because it was amazing, but instead we just have a lot of still pictures. The fish was probably 2 feet long and about the size of a football in circumference(not small!). As we walked up the gator was just holding the fish in its mouth. Then the gator starting moving (very quickly) for the water, and right before it went into the water it gulped down the fish, in 2 gulps. Afterward it just laid there on the bank, obviously quite full because it had a huge fish in its belly, whole. It was crazy to watch! Here are a few pictures from that day on the trail. Come visit us and we'll take you there :-)
Monday, May 3, 2010
LaChua Trail
We've posted about our walks to the LaChua Trail before, and it's a place we try to take everyone who comes to visit us. If you want to see alligators it's the place to go! We try to go walk on the trail every few months because it changes so often and a few weeks ago it was a gorgeous Spring day and we decided to head out to the trail. Every time I go I'm always a little afraid I'm going to see animal planet in real life . . . in the past we've see wild piglets walking right past the snouts of HUGE alligators, Bison crossing the path just yards in front of us and so much other wildlife. This time, as we were walking down the path, an alligator on the bank quite close to us caught our eye. After realizing it wasn't out to get us because it had a huge fish in it's mouth, we stayed quietly to watch. I wish I was videoing the whole event because it was amazing, but instead we just have a lot of still pictures. The fish was probably 2 feet long and about the size of a football in circumference(not small!). As we walked up the gator was just holding the fish in its mouth. Then the gator starting moving (very quickly) for the water, and right before it went into the water it gulped down the fish, in 2 gulps. Afterward it just laid there on the bank, obviously quite full because it had a huge fish in its belly, whole. It was crazy to watch! Here are a few pictures from that day on the trail. Come visit us and we'll take you there :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment